I would probably self-identify as a female rural West Coast (of USA) Caucasian, but that wouldn't include, as labels often don't, my journey from a small monocultural mill town to a solo sabbatical in six countries (in '91). Now I'm on to the exciting sojourn of retirement (from full-time worklife five years ago). I love travel and art and aesthetics, as well as almost all cats and dogs I've met. This blog is just for fun and experimenting with the tools. It should be amusing...

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Now way back to: My Sister and My Mom, in another summertime


This was taken circa 1956 in my childhood backyard in Camas, WA. Heidi still had a sort of puppy-ish look and my mother appears young-ish, too, as I snapped their pose, probably with a Brownie box camera. I was an only child (other than Heidi), but two doors away was a large family who quietly tolerated Heidi's raids on their picnics and playful romps with their children.

When snow fell, the kids would line up behind each other and Heidi would "domino" the line into the fluffy stuff. Another regular event which excited the neighborhood occured when Heidi created her favorite activity, a car ride: but in this case, she sat up proudly like the Queen, filling the front seat of the dogcatcher's truck, because she couldn't fit in the back! The shrill voices of the children would pierce my mother's attentive ear, "Mrs. Warren! Mrs. Warren! The dogcatcher's got Heidi AGAIN!!!"

Posted by Picasa

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

As one who grew up in a "cats only" family, I'm jealous. Cats just aren't that much fun. Cuddly, yes. Comforting, yes. But romping fun? No. But we never had to rescue our cat from the dog-catcher either. ~Karen

Monday, July 14, 2008

 
Blogger ~Kathi said...

HA! Our blind boy Jack would probably have his paw out for a ride with anybody, but old Heidi was famous for being hauled away by the evil dogman. Pets are certainly family in our book!

~K

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home