I would probably self-identify as a female rural West Coast (of USA) Caucasian, but that wouldn't include, as labels often don't, my journey from a small monocultural mill town to a solo sabbatical in six countries (in '91). Now I'm on to the exciting sojourn of retirement (from full-time worklife five years ago). I love travel and art and aesthetics, as well as almost all cats and dogs I've met. This blog is just for fun and experimenting with the tools. It should be amusing...

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Autumn's Artistic Adventures





The gorgeous and inspiring autumn weather has been accompanied by a number of artistic events which I wish you could all have attended. First, my art class went up to nearby Ashland, Oregon to see the Florence Schneider Museum of Art where our instructor Dennis Weathers has a show entitled "Influences" which is sparky and imaginative.

In the Schneider Museum, which abuts the SOU Art Department, another exciting show captured the attention of many locals as well as us Northern Californians. Many of the exhibits are of almost full-scale animals which are covered with intricate bead patterns, creative headpieces and compelling creature heads which have patrons walking underneath the animals and marveling at the artist's ingenuity.

Additionally, I've made the acquaintance of potter Frank Philipps whose luminous works are just marvelous. His shimmering turquoise glazes and aesthetic creations are just delightful. I hope I can purchase a few sometime in the future! Look at that color!


Then back at home, this weekend is graced with the Mt. Shasta International Film Festival, with many amazing shorts, documentaries and longer films such as "Under the Same Moon" which I just thrilled to, and "Amal" ;"Oil and Water" ;"Saving Angelo" and others.

The turnout's been great, and participants enter the theatres with red cheeks from the crisp cold air. All this in the last cold sunny days of autumn, making for a bountiful blessing of beautiful sights! Hope you enjoy the colors, too. What's up artistically where you live?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home